Flight tracking apps are a definite must-have for those of us who live out of a suitcase, whether we’re traveling for business or pleasure. They keep track of your itineraries, boarding passes, and frequent-flier programs — all from your mobile device. Plug in any number of flights or destinations and you can track boarding and departure times, along with current waits for check-in, security or customs.
Not sure which flight tracking app has what you need? We’ve compared the best flight tracking and status apps (and they’re all available to download on iPhones and Android devices) in this handy list. They’re loaded with features and are available in both paid and free versions.
Flight Tracking App #1: Flightradar24
It might look like a fun video game, but Flightradar24 allows you to see aircraft move around the world, search for specific flights, and much more!
Want to see thousands of aircraft around the world? Here’s what you get:
- Largest ADS-B network in the world with over 20,000 connected receivers
- Over 180,000 flights tracked per day. See our Statistics page for daily stats
- 2+ million users per day
- #1 app on AppStore in 130+ countries
- #1 travel app on AppStore in 150+ countries
- 40+ million app downloads
- Used by most major airlines and others in the aviation industry, including Airbus, Boeing, and Embraer
Price: Basic is free
Monthly subscriptions range from $1.49 – $3.99 (all subscriptions have a 7-day free trial)
Annual $9.99 – $34.99
Note: Premium subscriptions include features such as weather maps, extensive flight history tracking, and airport views.
Flight Tracking App #2: FlightAware Flight Tracker
FlightAware was the first company to offer free flight tracking services for both private and commercial air traffic. It uses thousands of real-time worldwide data sources to provide a ton of information that’s displayed in an intuitive, responsive app.
With FlightAware Flight Tracker, you’ll be able to:
- Scroll through flight delays in real-time
- Search for information by flight number, airport, or city
- View airport activity, including arrivals and departures
- Create a flight alert to ensure you’ve got the info you need as soon as it appears
- View weather conditions using an interactive map
- View nearby aircraft flying overhead
- Track charter, private, and GA aircraft
Price: Free (the best part!)
Flight Tracking App #3: FlightStats
Like the other flight tracking apps, FlightStats is an online flight tracker that lets you to search in real-time. This app is available in the Apple App Store as well as Google Play, but what makes it different is that it has features that are particularly well-suited to the Apple Watch.
FlightStats for Apple Watch has two primary uses:
- The glance view allows you to quickly see flight information at the flick of a wrist by displaying only the most relevant information based on the current state of the flight
- A more fully-featured application displays all your saved flights and lets you drill into details for each
Interested in using the app on your smartphone? You’ll get:
- Immediate access to flight status on flights around the world by flight number, airport, or route
- See flights as they move across an interactive map
- 3D Touch capability allows you to view flights from My Flights, Departures, Arrivals, or Route search results
- Access to an in-depth flight activity timeline
- Share flight information directly from the flight details screen
Flight Tracking App #4: App in the Air
App in the Air dubs itself “your personal flying assistant that keeps you up-to-date with your flight.” This application is specifically designed as a personal assistant for frequent travelers! Among others things, this useful tool provides you with helpful airport tips and in-airport navigation maps.
Additionally, App in the Air offers Apple and Google Play users:
- Flight alerts to keep you up-to-date at every stage of your flight
- Detailed flight history is chronicled in the app, as well as trips that include hotel and car rentals.
- Airport maps to help you navigate even the most complicated airport
- Top tips from other airport users
- A chat feature that enables you to connect with people who are on your flight or in the airport
- A wallet that allows you to accumulate miles from a variety of airline and hotel loyalty programs
Price: Basic is free, but a subscription is needed to unlock real-time flight status updates, automated check-in and the option to subscribe family via SMS.
Premium: Monthly subscription ($4.99) and Annual subscription ($29.99)
Flight Tracking App #5: FlightView
FlightView gives iOS and Android users the ability to track flights, both incoming and in-air, as well as the ability to receive push notifications that feature status alerts, gate assignments, delays, cancellations. This app also lets you see real-time progress of any flight in the map.
What else can users get when they download FlightView? They can:
- Access driving directions for any airport
- Find alternative flights by viewing flight schedules from city to city
- Search flights up to 350 days in advance and save them within the app
- View where the plane for your flight is coming from and get a real-time status update
- Sync your trip between devices and the FlightView website
- Review your saved itineraries in-flight in Airplane mode
- View current weather conditions
Price: The basic version of FlightView is free, but if you prefer an ad-free experience, you can download FlightView Plus for $.99 or FlightView Elite for $3.99.
While these flight tracking apps can make your travel smoother, they can’t prevent flight delays or cancellations from happening altogether.
When you’re facing a flight disruption while traveling through Europe, who can help you claim the money you may be entitled to?
Airline Payback knows your rights. If you’re traveling in, to or from Europe, you’re protected by European law and you may be entitled to compensation of up to €600 per passenger. We fight for your rights, file your claim, handle all communication with the airline (so you don’t have to) with no upfront fees and zero risk to you.